Publication Date: December 23rd 2014
Series: Starbound #2
Find on Goodreads
The second installment in the epic Starbound trilogy introduces a new pair of star-crossed lovers on two sides of a bloody war.
Jubilee Chase and Flynn Cormac should never have met.
Lee is captain of the forces sent to Avon to crush the terraformed planet's rebellious colonists, but she has her own reasons for hating the insurgents.
Rebellion is in Flynn's blood. Terraforming corporations make their fortune by recruiting colonists to make the inhospitable planets livable, with the promise of a better life for their children. But they never fulfilled their promise on Avon, and decades later, Flynn is leading the rebellion.
Desperate for any advantage in a bloody and unrelentingly war, Flynn does the only thing that makes sense when he and Lee cross paths: he returns to base with her as prisoner. But as his fellow rebels prepare to execute this tough-talking girl with nerves of steel, Flynn makes another choice that will change him forever. He and Lee escape the rebel base together, caught between two sides of a senseless war.
“Hands down, one of the best books I’ve read this year!”
This Shattered World is another story that blew me away! I really LOVED reading about Captain Lee Chase and Avon rebel Flynn Cormac! Plus, imagine that – a kick ass female captain!
Captain Lee Chase has been in the planet Avon for a while. She has not been affected by the fury that seems to take hold of the soldiers assigned to the planet for an extended period of time. She has been assigned to subdue the rebel force that has been the thorn of the soldier’s side.
Flynn Cormac, the younger brother of the rebel’s leader (who died when he was a kid), does not want violence. He just wants his planet, Avon to progress in the terraforming process. He also found an unknown building that suddenly showed up in the swamp overnight. He captures Lee and the adventure begins!
What I liked:
- The unique storyline was just like a breath of fresh air that I devoured the book in a few days (once I got into it). I liked the slow development of Lee and Flynn’s relationship and there was definitely NO insta-love! Just like the previous book, These Broken Stars, the relationship starts with attraction and then slowly develops into something more.
- The world building is just amazing and I felt that I was right there in Avon, which really helped me visualize this alien planet. I also liked the references to Irish culture as ancestors for the swamp dwellers. I thought this helped in the world building since we are talking about an alien planet.
- I also liked that I get to see Tarver and Lilac! I loved that Tarver helped Lee despite not having any contact with her. I also slightly recall that Tarver had alluded to Lee (or was it mentioned?) in These Broken Stars.
- The ending was JUST….mind boggling! I loved the revelations and how they defeated (sort of) La Rue Industries. I loved the revelations the alien being revealed to Lee and Flynn – also the shocking death of one of the characters.
- I also liked the short snippets of historical lore added before each chapter. Like These Broken Stars where the snippets where the
interrogationinterview with Tarver.
What I did not like:
- It was hard for me to get into the story at first and I really had to stop after reading chapter one. I really do not know what but I felt it was NOT as interesting as I thought it would be. After I was able to get past the first few chapters, I was hooked!
This Shattered World is definitely an awesome read, one of the best that I read this year. I am definitely looking forward to the next book in the series (hint: the characters have already been mentioned in this book!) And I am definitely hoping to see all 2 characters in the third book as well!
Hi readers, if you found my review helpful, please vote for it on Amazon. Thank you!