Until the Beginning written by Amy Plum
Narrated by Emily Rankin, Graham Hamilton
Genres: Dystopian, Science Fiction, Young Adult
Series: After the End #2
Published by HarperTeen
Publication Date: May 5th 2015
Length: 8 hrs and 30 mins
Find on Goodreads
When Juneau's clan disappeared, she lost so much more than her friends and family. She soon discovered everything she thought she knew about her life was a lie. Her people's gifts were actually secret abilities that others wanted, desperately enough to kidnap an entire village.
Juneau and her new companion Miles's cross-country journey to find her clan has led them to a game preserve in New Mexico. Now Juneau's people are finally within reach, and she will stop at nothing to save them. But she has a target on her back too, because unbeknownst to her she is the key to unlocking everything. To rescue her people - and herself - Juneau must discover what she, and her abilities, are truly capable of.
Until the Beginning, the second book in the After the End series continues the cliffhanger in the first book. Juneau and Miles are on the run, Miles is shot and Juneau had to perform The Right on him to save his life. At this point, Juneau is also discovering her powers and the reasons behind them. I’m not sure how to review this book. I think it’s a love it/hate it type of thing because I think there is nothing that is going on for the most part of the book.
What I love about the book:
- We get answers! Yes, after that first cliffhanger, I wanted to get answers stat and some of those questions were answered in this book.
- Juneau and Miles’ relationship. I love the chemistry between them especially when Miles changes and starts to fall for Juneau.
- I thought the sexy times part was age appropriate. Very PG 13, I think.
What I hate about the book:
- I miss Miles’ sarcasm. I really wish I he could have kept his sarcasm but I since his sarcasm was directed at some of the things Juneau did in After the End, I am semi-glad that this is not the case now.
- There is nothing going on in this book, well the middle part anyway. It starts at a high then slowly goes downhill from there and then picks up again by the last few chapters. If this weren’t an audiobook, I probably would have stopped in the middle.
- Miles’ dad. I mean. Please. E V I L.
- There were animal killings. I know it’s part of the plot but -!
- I still have questions! Well, despite enjoying the book, there are still unanswered questions. And I’m not even sure if there is a third book in the series!
All in all, Until the Beginning was an enjoyable listen. I’m not sure about reading it, but I definitely recommend the audiobook. Oh, and the cover? Yes, I definitely love it!
THOUGHTS ON THE AUDIO
Narrator: Emily Rankin & Graham Hamilton
Again, both narrators complemented each other and breathed life to both Miles and Juneau. The pacing was great and I did not have any problems following the story.