Hosted by The Broke and the Bookish
Welcome to another edition of Top Ten Tuesday! I wanted to mix things up a bit and give you my love/hate most recent reads! I’m a little happy, though since I had a hard time picking my disappointing reads this week! Isn’t that awesome?! This means that whatever I have been reading lately has generally been awesome!
- Queen of Shadows | Sarah J. Maas | Young Adult Fantasy – There’s nothing more to say when it comes to this series. If you have been following me for a while, you would know that I am obsessed with the Throne of Glass books, and this one is no exception! After that DEVASTATING end in Heir of Fire, my jaw dropped and I was left with a lot of unanswered questions! This book did it and more! Now, I know I don’t agree with where the arc the story went BUT the overall plot was beyond awesome!
- The Forbidden Wish | Jessica Khoury | Young Adult Fairy Tale Retelling – I went into this book without any expectations. Sure, this is an Aladdin retelling, but I was not expecting how awesome it is! This time, the jinni is a female! Yes, there is a princess, yet there is an evil Gran Vizier, and yes there is a street rat! What I love about The Forbidden Wish is that the romance is subtle! Unfortunately, it looks like this book is a stand alone, which is one of the reasons why I was so disappointed!
- The Hunter | Kerrigan Byrne | Historical Romance – This book KILLED me while reading the prologue alone! I was blown away by the story! Plus, hint hint, there is also a Jack the Ripper arc to this! Jack the Ripper arc to this!
- The Deal | Elle Kennedy | New Adult Contemporary Romance – I hardly read New Adult contemporary, but I read Alexa’s review, I was intrigued. So, I went ahead and purchased all 3 books that were out already and binge read it in a few days! Whew! Super HOT and the stories are sooo good. Ehemm..except for one underwhelming book (see list below).
- The Winner’s Crime | Marie Rutkoski | Young Adult Fantasy – I did not expect to like this book. At. All. I was hooked in the first book, but this book spoke to me! I think it was Kestrel and her father’s relationship that sold me. The romance aspect is subtle as well, and that’s something that I absolutely love.
- Anna and the French Kiss | Stephanie Perkins | Young Adult Contemporary – I was really, really disappointed by this book. Maybe because of the hype? Bottom line, I didn’t fall in love with Etienne!
- The Revolution of Ivy | Amy Engel | Young Adult Dystopia – I LOVED The Book of Ivy and I was super excited to read the sequel. Boy, was I disappointed! I HATED it so much I wish I could get my time back! I mean, there was NO REVOLUTION! Sort of like how Breaking Dawn didn’t have a showdown between the vampires!
- Shiver | Maggie Stiefvater | Young Adult Paranormal – I really hope to love this book, but unfortunately, I didn’t like it at all.
- Talon | Julie Kagawa | Young Adult Urban Fantasy – I wanted to love this book. Really. I mean teenaged dragons? There are two reasons why I was disappointed: 1) there is a love triangle and 2) sibling betrayal.
- The Score | Elle Kennedy | New Adult Contemporary Romance – So remember I gushed about this series? Well, The Score is the third book of the series and I didn’t like the main character, Dean. He was just too much for me and too unlikeable. The plot is good actually, but I just didn’t like Dean at all.
So have you read any of the books listed above? Do you agree with my picks? Do you disagree? Share your thoughts below!