Let’s talk about anything bookish!
Hello, my name is Ezrah and I am a serial book hopper. I define book hopper as someone who reads multiple books at one time and regularly jumps from one book to the next while not finishing the current book being read. I know, that’s crazy. But for the most part, it works well for me, especially when I am in a book slump.
At this moment, I am currently unable to focus on a specific book and I’m juggling 5 books at the same time. Currently, it’s 4 new books and 2 re-reads.
Now, you may ask WHY I do this, or if I forget the plots of each of the books. Yes and no. since the 2 books are re-reads, I mostly don’t have to worry about that. For the 3 that I am currently reading… Well, to be honest – YES.
Reasons why I’m a serial book hopper
- I read multiple formats. This means that I mostly listen to audiobooks during my commute to work every day (that about 3 to 3/5 hours per day), and I also listen while doing chores. Then I read ebooks or physical books at night before bed.
- Sometimes, a book just doesn’t hook me. This reason really sucks because there are books that are slow to start and if a book doesn’t initially catch my attention, I usually jump to another book. I’m bad, I know.
- I’m also a mood reader. I won’t go into detail on that since I already wrote about that in a previous post.
- Then there’s that ever-present reading slump! Because I binge-read a lot, I always fall into a slump. When that happens, that means ANY book I try to read won’t capture my attention! Which leads to starting AND NOT FINISHING multiple books at the same time!
Reasons why being a serial book hopper sucks
- I never finish a book! I mean, I do finish reading, but not as many as I want to!
- I forget some plot point and will almost always re-read previous chapters. This one just sucks the life right out of me.
- I mean, just what am I thinking? How can I even read multiple books at the same time is even SANE?
Reasons why being a serial book hopper works for me… sometimes
- Because I’m crazy, that’s why it works!
- I love mixing the formats. It helps me read more books, actually. (See why I read multiple formats.)
- It keeps me entertained.
And I actually ran out of reasons why reading multiple books works for me! I guess this is because book hopping is a sign of an epic book slump coming on? If so, please wish me luck and help me get out of this funk!
Do you read multiple books at the same time?
If yes, why. And if no, do you think I’m crazy for doing so?
Share your thoughts on the topic and/or my craziness below!