Title: Earls Just Want to Have Fun
Written by Shana Galen
Series: Covent Garden Cubs #1
Published by Sourcebooks Casablanca
Publication Date: 2015-02-03
Genres: Historical Romance
Find on Goodreads
His heart may be the last thing she ever steals...
Marlowe is a pickpocket, a housebreaker-and a better actress than any professional on the stage. She runs with the Covent Garden Cubs, a gang of thieves living in the slums of London's Seven Dials. It's a fierce life, and Marlowe has a hard outer shell. But when she's alone, she allows herself to think of a time before-a dimly remembered life when she was called Elizabeth.
Maxwell, Lord Dane, is intrigued when his brother, a hired investigator, ropes him into his investigation of the fiercely beautiful hellion. He teaches her to navigate the social morass of the ton, but Marlowe will not escape so easily. Instead, Dane is drawn into her dangerous world, where the student becomes the teacher and love is the greatest risk of all.
“What a nice surprise – an awesome read!”
Earls Just Want to Have Fun by Shana Galen is the first book in the Covent Garden Cubs series and I was blown away! This book has all the things I LOVE about historical romance! We have a street-smart heroine and a stickler-for-propriety Earl and what do we get? An explosive romance and a fun read!
What I liked:
- This story is sort of like Pygmalion – where the rich hero trains the uneducated heroine to be a lady. I thought this was going to be the usual Pygmalion story but I was wrong!
- This brings me to the next thing that I liked: THE HEROINE Marlowe. I loved her strength and her snarky attitude towards the Earl. I also liked how she was taken cared of by the other Covent Garden Cubs. Because – the slums, and the dangerous men out to get all the lovely young ladies in Seven Dials!
- I also liked Maxwell, Lord Dane. Despite him being the snooty lord, he turned out to be a sensitive hero, that showed that he really loved Marlowe. I was already dreading his attitude when he was presented to us in the first few chapters because of his snootiness.
What I did not like:
Possibly NOTHING! I really enjoyed this book and I am definitely looking forward to the next book in the series!
Reading this book contributed to these challenges:
- 2015 Goodreads Book Challenge
- 2015 Historical Romance Challenge
- 2015 Netgalley Reading Challenge