Hello bookworms and welcome to my piece of the world wide web, I Heart Romance & YA! Where I review, share lists (YEZ!), gush about reading and talk about anything under the sun.
THIS IS ME, Ezrah, with an H in the end! I am a 31 (turning 32 in a few short months… run for the hills!) year old, living in Southern California, but was born and raised as an only child in Dumaguete City, Philippines.
Yes, that’s the tiny capital city, right in the sock-island.
- I’m a Filipino and I love my culture. I can speak Tagalog and my dialect, Bisaya, but I admit to sounding weird when I speak Tagalog (my close friends know this). My grandfather (on my mother’s side) is Chinese and my great-grandparents on my father’s side are of Spanish descent.
We are total opposites!
- I am married to the love of my life, Pierre, who moved to the US to be with me. Sweet? Yeah, we suffered through three years of long distance relationship woes. So it’s not all candies and rainbows. By the way, my husband is not French *wink*. He reads but is not a bookworm like me. He can be convinced err forced to read YA and I even started a feature on my blog that needs to be revived ASAP. He plays the guitar and he is trying to take over my book space with his guitar collection. He is winning, BTW because my full collection is back home in the PH *so sad*
rock on \m/!
- I have my very own personal chef named Pierre. I can’t cook to save my life so I mostly rely on him to do all the cooking. I will do the dishes for him but hate washing the pots and pans!
- I love Disney movies and I am not ashamed to admit it! I pretty much grew up with Disney and can still passably memorize bits of the movies and sing the songs, too!
- My guilty pleasures are watching anything on the Discovery or History channel about aliens and conspiracy theories and aliens. Yup, I’m weird like that.
- I’m a registered nurse but I work in quality improvement. Weird, huh? I think I found my calling because I realized that I love to teach!
So, books. I love reading. And I have loved reading since I was a kid. Apparently, toddler me wouldn’t sleep until she got read a bedtime story. Today, toddler me is adult me and now reads her own bedtime stories herself every night.
I try to avoid reading real-life, contemporary stories because – feels. I gobble up dystopia, science fiction, and fantasy YA but still keep my first love of historical romance. I used to read mostly Historical Romance but a couple of years ago, These Broken Stars by Amie Kaufman & Meagan Spooner happened and now I am hooked on Young Adult books! Just as a note, I review erotic historical romance, too – because HISTORICAL ROMANCE!
I started blogging way back in the early 2000s when I used Blogger to chronicle my life because it was the in thing back then. Those blogs are all gone now, fortunately (lolz). I almost gave up blogging a few years ago, until I started blogging about books in 2011. That was when I fell in love with blogging all over again. I Heart Romance & YA, formerly known as I Heart Romance was mostly a blog about my love for historical romance and random reads but in the last couple of years, it has grown into a YA and HR hybrid and I love it that way.
My goal is to share my love and passion for historical romance and young adult. I will talk about books, movies, bookish discussions, list making, and trying to DIY bookish stuff (which will be a new feature, I promise).
- The Harry Potter series by J.K. Rowling – Because this IS the series that I grew up with. I was in high school when I read this but WHATEVS!
- Lisa Kleypas historical romance is GOLD!
- Anything by Jules Verne – I’ve loved his stories as a child.
- Jurassic Park & The Lost World by Michael Crichton – When I was in 6th grade, I felt very adult reading this highly scientific books. I loved it.
- The Night Huntress Novels by Jeaniene Frost- because BONES! I love this series so much! And if you want a kick-ass bad-ass female heroine, Cat is the one!
- The Lunar Chronicles by Marissa Meyer – Probably one of the best fairy tale re-telling series that I’ve ever read!
I have two cats (currently have plans to get a puppy but Pierre says NO), Twylah and Pixie Gail. Both cats are rescues and have made our lives so much better. Side note: there is an EVIL KAT.
I try to be as active as I can be on social media, so you may stalk me. Chat me up and let’s bond over books and other bookishness!