I received this book for free from the Author in exchange for an honest review. This does not affect my opinion of the book or the content of my review.
Written by Emily Duvall
Series: Flawless #2
Published by Whiskey Creek Press
Publication Date: March 31st 2016
Genres: Contemporary Romance
Find on Goodreads
Jessica Cahill is having one perfect night. In six weeks she’ll walk down the aisle and marry her long-time boyfriend. But for tonight, she’s celebrating hard at her bachelorette party. It’s the time of her life until… she takes things too far.
Brent Harrison is having the worst night of his life. Across town, seven rare diamonds are tucked safely in the vault at his brother’s mansion. These diamonds are special. They hold significance. They belong to the infamous Abbott Tiara. The task should be easy, he should have them by the morning. That’s when everything goes wrong. That’s when he runs into her.
One tiara Seven diamonds Sometimes beautiful things come at a cost…
Don’t want to read the whole review? Click to jump to the Skinny Review.
I’ve been reading a few contemporaries lately and to be honest, I am not quite a fan of the genre, but I do read it sometimes. I was drawn to this book because of the awesome blurb. I mean, stolen gems, a tiara, romance? Bring it on!
Unfortunately, the romance part did not live up to what I’m used to. I’m pretty used to reading romance and this didn’t satisfy my romantic streak.
Here are 5 reasons why I wanted to read CUT
- Diamonds are a girl’s best friend. Correction. RARE DIAMONDS are a girl’s best friend! This book involves a stolen rare set of diamonds that adorned the famous Abbott Tiara. SO YES, I WANTED to read about stolen diamonds. I’m expecting a lot of thrills here!
- Drama. One thing I can say about Cut is that you don’t lack drama. On the eve of her bachelorette party, Jessica finds out that her estranged sister was attacked and is in the ICU. Who tells her? Some random guy that she kisses (passionately) at the bar, who is unknowingly her brother in law! But get this, HE KNOWS IT’S HER and he doesn’t tell her! Talk about DRAMA! There is also Jessie’s estrangement with her sister and her family.
- Suspense. Because it involves tracking down said diamonds. Again, I WANTED to love it, but I was really irritated with Jessica, so this really affected my enjoyment of the book.
- ROMANCE. Correction, this is NOT another romantic story! It is obvious that I love a good romance and I was DISAPPOINTED that there is not that much romance here. I wanted it to have more romance and I also didn’t really feel that Jessica and Brent had a lot of chemistry between them. I really wish
- Characters. Jessica annoyed me. Really. I thought it wasn’t a great way to introduce the main character. I mean, she was wasted in the first page alone! Eeeep! I also didn’t connect with her. Sigh*
I haven’t read Inclusions, the first book in the series, but I didn’t have any problems following the story. You can read it even if you haven’t read the first book. So it does read as a standalone. Although, now that I read this, it would be interesting to find out what happened in the previous book.
Cut is perfect for those who want a suspenseful contemporary with not a lot of romance.
Do you love fast-paced suspenseful stories?
Do you have any good recs for me?